Monday, July 2, 2012

Pain Perdu?

After I started working, Thom and I have become the kind of couple who sprawls on the couch and watches Game of Thrones marathons over the weekend. My former energy and lust for life have been taken over by a kind of languidness that is emanating from the deepest part of my being. Do you feel me?

And then I cook. {Last weekend I made beef pickle}This weekend, I neither went out nor cooked. I slept. While Thom watched Game of Thrones. And it made me feel deeply unproductive. And tired. And lazy. And listless. And dull. And... Ok done. 

And that is why I made French Toast. 

It is quick. It is easy. And it's taste proves that good things are not hard to come by. 

Now there are as many recipes for French Toast as there are types of bread. As there are stars in the sky. As there are strands of hair on my husband's head. More than the strands of hair on my head, because I'm growing bald by the day.

Maybe that's why none of my gazillion  recipe books have a recipe on French Toast. But the Internet. The Internet is a maze with French Toast recipes around each corner. The Pioneer Woman's got a very smart suggestion: use only egg yolks. She is a smart and wily one, that pioneer. Joanna from A Cup of Jo has a "The best x you'll ever have, and Miss. James of Bleubird Vintage has written a post on French Toast. Deb of Smitten Kitchen has written about a very, very appealing Creme Brulee French Toast, which I want to try  out desperately. Molly has a very standard recipe on Orangette. And then there's Slate, which will tell you how you're doing it wrong. Now that's a fitting end to your French Toast saga if there ever is one!

And as for what I did, here is my recipe. This is my healthy French Toast that still tastes awesome. This is what you need?




3  eggs
150 ml milk
1/4 cup of caster sugar
a pinch of salt
a pinch of cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
8 slices of whole wheat bread
oil

Whisk the first six ingredients. Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and anoint it with a little oil. I used a smidgeon of olive oil.  Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture one at a time, making sure that it is soaked through but not breaking apart. This is the tricky bit.  

When the pan is hot, place the slices on the pan and let it cook until the under side is golden; about 2 min. Turn over. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Oooops.Wrong forum. Repeat the cooking process.

I like to make a few like this and a few with jam in it. All you need to do is make jam sandwiches, dip them, and fry them.

And you know what the French Toast of my fantasy is like? They are Elvis-style, with peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwiched between fat slices of bread, French toasted, and doused in maple syrup. Yum!!!!

And arguing for the flip side of the coin, don't let anyone tell you that you need butter to toast the bread. Olive oil French toasted my wholewheat bread just fine, merci beaucoup!

2 comments:

  1. yum! good one! one of my go-to breakfasts for the sonny boy and for the husband...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days even I''m lazy... and don't wanna do anything over the weekends except sleep or watch TBBT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥