Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Kilimanjaro

A long, long time ago, there was a 28 before 28 post. And no. 12 said "Buy, clean and cook an entire fish (I hate fish. I am petrified of fish. I have never touched an uncooked fish and have hardly eaten cooked fish. Hence, I really have no idea what to do with fish!)."

Now, fish and I have a complicated relationship. In the order of things, of all the things I would be most scared of doing, I would rate "holding a snake as no. 1 and "cleaning fish" as no. 2. Skydiving would be no. 50 I think. Swimming with the sharks and fighting shooting someone would be somewhere in between. 

I still have not cleaned fish, but I bought shelled shrimp (I thought I would ease into the fish territory by starting with seafood) and I cooked it! I'm telling you. This is my Kilimanjaro. Not my Everest, but very, very close. 



The shrimp was fabulous. I made it following this recipe by Five and Spice, and this is what I did:

Ingredients: 

1/2 kg large shrimp shelled and cleaned (there were about 30)
1 tsp paprika (the original calls for sweet paprika and I didn't have any with me.
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp mixed herbs (Mine is a mix of rosemary, thyme, marjoram, basil, and oregano,and traces of celery and mustard. I reckon that you can use any of these herbs or a combination of them.)
zest from half a lemon
a glug of olive oil
4 shallots minced
6 cloves of garlic minced
juice of 1 lemon
3  tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brandy


Place the shrimp in a bowl and add the paprika, pepper, salt, herbs, and lemon zest. Mix well and let it marinate. 


Heat the olive oil in a frying pan (not nonstick). Add the shallots and the garlic, followed by the lemon juice and the Worcestershire sauce. Fry till light brown (about 5 minutes). Add the prawns and saute until they turn pink (about 3 minutes).





Now is the fun part. Pour in the alcohol with a ladle, light it up with a long matchstick, and let it burn. Eventually it dies out. 





That's it! Serve with bread, butter, and a green salad. 


:)  


This dish was yum; the plate was totally licked clean! The original calls for 5 tbsp of butter and even without it, it was awesome. 


And yeah. I'm never gonna be a food photographer, that's for sure. 

5 comments:

  1. this looks delicious!!! seafood is one of my absolute favorites! i'll need to bookmark this recipe so i can remember to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so super impressed! I can hardly stand to handle any raw meat that requires no cleaning. You are superwoman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! sure looks good... love the flame in the ladle...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥