Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Guilt and TLC

Wash your face
via
This is something that is incredibly hard for me to accept, but I am totally guilty of letting myself go after I got married. It is one thing that I have put back on an incredible amount of weight, but what makes me feel even worse is the way I treat my skin. {Yesterday, I used rubbing alcohol instead of soap and water to wash my face. Gulp! But you do that too, right?}

So today, I woke up feeling all inspired to give some much-needed TLC to my skin. So far, so good, huh? And this brings me to the time before my wedding when self-provided TLC for my skin was in plentiful supply. Here's what I did.

1. I'd wake up to a glass of warm water with freshly squeezed lemon and a few drops of honey. If not in reality, this was a regular ritual that I partook in, in my dreams.

2. I'd apply a face mask at least once in two days. I did do this religiously for about a year. I am certain that it made a considerable difference because in that period, I was in Kerala where my typically face breaks out like mad, and this did not happen that time around, thanks to the copious use of face masks.

While I make zillions and gazillions of face masks, my favourite one is this:

Mix oatmeal, yoghurt, honey, egg white, and mashed up banana together. Apply on your face and when it is dry, wash it off. You will grow like the moon, minus the craters of course.

Also, any time I ate a fruit, I would take a piece or the fleshy part of the peel and rub it on my face. The same is true for eggs; the left over egg white on the egg shell has to go on your face. And after you squeeze a lemon, dip it in a bowl of salt and it becomes and excellent scrub for your face. You gotta get down an dirty to be a serious player in this business.

3. Body Scrubs: When God gave Paris Hilton money to get expensive spa treatments, he gave me salt and sugar to make the same scrub at home. It is that easy.

One part oil + Two parts salt/sugar = Basic body scrub

The oil can be almond, apricot, avocado, coconut, grape seed, jojoba, olive, or sesame oil and the salt/sugar can be of any kind. Remember that salt is harsher than sugar and that brown sugar is milder than white sugar.  After mixing this up, feel free to go wild with this. You can add a few drops of any essential oil, your favourite fruit mashed up, or even some yoghurt and honey. My favourite scrub is made of extra virgin coconut oil, brown sugar, avocado, and vanilla essential oil. Luv-er-ly!

Isn't it awesome to know what goes on in other people's bedrooms?

I hope that none of you are like me and that you all do all you can to look as pretty as you can. Remember... pretty is as pretty does, but to be pretty on the inside, you do not need to not be pretty on the outside. And I will remember that hair on the legs is never cool and that a little bit of vanity never hurt anyone.

xo,

Liz

2 comments:

  1. wow! u did so much for ur skin!!!! kudos to u.... The only sustainable thing that i can do is have an oil bath everyday... And use glycerine and rose-water on my skin after my daily bath... anything beyond this is too taxing to fit into my daily schedule.... but yes... i do admire the people who can manage to look after their skin better and sustain that ritual day-after-day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I used to do a LOT. That's the point. The only reason my skin looks half way decent right now is coz of all the effort I put in before the wedding..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥