Friday, March 16, 2012

A many splendoured thing

“It was a dark and stormy night.”
Paul Clifford by Edgar Bulwer Lytton


"It was the best of times, it was . . ."
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens


“Nevermore.”
The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe


“My kingdom for a horse!”
Richard III by William Shakespeare


"Curiouser and curiouser!"
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll


"All happy families are alike . . ."
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


“Now I know what a ghost is.
"The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie


". . . the clocks were striking 13."
1984 by George Orwell


"Everything I had was bourgeois as hell"
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Sallinger 

If you are anything me, you would have sighed a couple of times by now. Isn't literature awesome? It gives you everything you need. It makes you laugh and it makes you cry and it makes you sigh a thousand times over. "Curiouser and curiouser!" How did Lewis Carroll even come up with that! Books give me stars in my eyes. I can feel the stars. {Do you feel the stars in your eyes sometimes?}

"'Hope' is the thing with feathers"

Emily Dickinson


"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." 
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

"The world breaks us all. Afterward, some are stronger at the broken places."
Farewell To Arms by  Ernest Hemingway

Have you seen Midnight in Paris? It is marvelous! Remarkable! Splendid! A many splendored thing.It's about Paris and it's about writers. And it's about writers in Paris.Midnight in Paris gave me stars in my eyes too.

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery. And of course stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand." 
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

“It's not all bad. Heightened self-consciousness, apartness, an inability to join in, physical shame and self-loathing—they are not all bad. Those devils have been my angels. Without them I would never have disappeared into language, literature, the mind, laughter and all the mad intensities that made and unmade me.” 
Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry

"If you have built castles in the air,
your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them."
from the "Conclusion" to Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Sigh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥