Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Finding your bliss

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love," says Rumi. 

Is it impossible to find a job that you absolutely love doing? Confucius said that if you choose a job you love, you will never have to work a day in your life. That is what I am talking about... a job that I can do with that kind of passion and that level of enthusiasm that it will be as enjoyable as reading or watching television or blogging. Is that too much to ask? 

I wrote this a while back and I never posted it because I hate cribbing on this blog, and this post was really, me venting. 

"So I've been bumming out big time about my career (rather, lack thereof), because I STILL have no freakin' clue as to what to do with my life. I don't remember a day in my conscious life when I have thought of what my calling is or what I'm meant to do. I do agree that I may have been stuck in this limbo because

1. My parents have been gracious enough to tell me that I could do whatever I wanted, unlike most other Indian parents who tell their kids what to do.
2. I will not starve even if I don't 'bring home some bacon'. (Not proud of saying this, but I'm saying it anyways.)

But I'm whimsical and I'm dreamy and I have grown up wanting to find my passion and live it, as extolled by poets and artists and chefs and engineers and actors and doctors who all "love their job." And today, at 27, I am still at the same place, which is alright I guess, except that now I have to get a dang job and I have no clue where to go for it and what to do.

And then Oprah was showing on TV and it was this show about dream jobs and all these people came on to tell everybody that they need to do what they love and find a way to make money out of it and that if you find what you love, you will not have to work for a day in your life. And Oprah did her chorus of 'Find your bliss', which usually moves me to an ocean of tears but today, all it did was make me feel like an ant. Or a mosquito. Because for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is that I would "love" to do..."

Now I have a job and it is perfectly alright, but not once in the one month that I have been doing it have I closed my eyes and taken a deep breath and felt utterly grateful that I am doing something that is absolutely phenomenal and enthralling. Maybe I have my head in the clouds but I really truly believe that life is measured by the moments that take your breath away. Mediocrity is all good, and is integral to maintain a balance between the good and the difficult, but if something is defined by the "perfectly average" and is replete of breathtaking moments, I don't know if it's worth the undertaking.

What is a calling?

It is possibly the thing that you would be happier doing than most other things.
It is possibly the thing that is easier for you to do than most other thingssomething you're a natural at.
It is possibly something that you do in your everyday life, many times over, most naturally.
It is possibly something that is absolutely obvious to others but you are blind to—ask other people what they think your calling is. 
It is most definitely something that is in alignment with your values and your orientations.

It's like finding your soul mate... once you find him/her, things start achieving a comfortable momentum and flow harmoniously with its own energy. Things flow...

Things flow. 

And I want that feeling more than anything in the world. 

Is that too much to ask?  

"Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me," says The Beatles

4 comments:

  1. I think the easiest way to find your calling is to ask yourself," What could I be the best in the world at?" For me the answer's been fashion since I was 12 and it's never going to change. It could be anything, as long as you can work hard to monetize it because even if you don't need it, money is an instant indicator of success, which in turn feels great!
    If you love blogging so much, and I can vouch for the fact that you write really well, you should try your hand at Social Media Marketing/Communication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm interesting post! though a calling is not necessarily something that you are good at... its something that arises from deep inside you ... i mean you just have to do it... that no matter what .. you will find a way to do it ... and it doesnt necesarily have to be limited to a career :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how awesome would it be if it could be your career! that's what I', talkin' bout!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥