Monday, February 20, 2012

The end of an era

Today is the last day that I will be a non-working girl... the last day when I will be at home while everyone around me goes to work or to college... the last day of two years when I got to spend every moment, doing only the things that I wanted to do... like a child. Today is my last day of freedom. Today is the end of an era.

24th December 2009 was my last working day. Since then, I have travelled to 13 states in India and three foreign countries, lived in The Himalayas for a month, done 150  hours of yoga to complete the basic course at Agama Yoga, gone to Varanasi - the holiest city of the Hindus, started and nurtured my darling blog, grown thinner and fatter, injured myself in various places {the trend continues - my pinkie is severely burnt right now and is missing several layers of skin. Did you know that flesh looks yellow when it starts healing? Grody!}, read many, many awesome books, called off a wedding, gotten married, learnt how to cook cabbage {barely}and make Chai{very well}, bought a gazillion gorgeous sarees, made no new friends in real life but several ones through my blog, and made no headway into figuring out what I want to do with my life.

The last two years have been epic.

I have been asked a multitude of times whether I get bored sitting at home; whether I feel wasted or like I'm wasting my life. I have been asked, with credulousness and with sarcasm, what I do with my  time and how I could be happy with doing 'nothing'. I have been told by many, that they could never do what I do, and not want to kill themselves. I have been told that I am indeed wasting my life. This is what I have to say about this.

I completely understand why you would feel that I am wasting my life. Ironically, I felt like I was wasting my life when I was working, because the focus in a job is on working, rather than on learning. Of course, this is the point of working - the company is not doing charity and trying to get you to learn  stuff everyday. However, I do learn a lot, lot more when I am sitting at home and reading stuff, than when I am working. How, then, would I feel like I am wasting my life.

I do not get bored because I do something at every moment of my day. I am pretty sure I have ADD - I am not one to sit for a moment and not do anything, because I would get bored. The saying, 'only boring people get bored' has been my  mantra for these two years. Cheeky, right? But I truly believe it. There is so much to read and so much to see in this world that I don't know how you can get bored, ever.

And as to what I do, I read books, I read blogs, I watch a few television shows on the computer with astounding regularity, but I hardly watch television {my life is very purposive!} and I cook. This is what I do.

And as to why I am gonna start working even though I am super happy not working, this is the reason: I don't think that it's fair that my father and Thom  have to support me financially just because I don't want to work. It is absolutely my responsibility to contribute financially to the household and I have put  this off  for way to long. That is why I am going to work and that is why I am ok with doing that.

And as for today, I am going to be nostalgic. And I am going to mourn the passing of these two years. And I am going to rejoice and revel in the fact  that it was beyond spectacular and it was all mine.

11 comments:

  1. I remember that feeling all too well. It really does seem like the end of an era but I hope you love the job and it brings you much happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn:) I hope your job brings you happiness too.:)

      Delete
  2. I hope your first day (and all the other days) of your job goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever decide to take a break from work, then I'm asking u for suggestions :) Enjoy the first day of work... Having self-earned money only gives a woman more freedom :) It's for that freedom that many of us cling on to our jobs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Also, if you want to take a break, you can come to Bombay. Can I adopt you as my older sister?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an amazing two years (since I only started reading near the end) and I hope your next few years are just as amazing (if in a totally different way). I *love* that quote. My mum said it to me once and I have refused to be bored since. Mind you, I said it to Aimee, she cried for an hour that I had said she was boring ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny! I tell people when I am trying to be mean. :D I also tell people who will understand what I'm talking about... who themselves are so interesting and so a zillion things.

      And thank you, Catherine. For your kind words...

      Delete
  5. interesting and casual.
    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been really stressing that your job would take you from me! And by me, I mean away from your blog. I am excited for this new chapter for you but anxious that it shall take you away from your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥