Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A cuppa cocoa

My poison? There are one too many! But right at the top of top of the pyramid, along with cupcakes, ridiculously high  heels that I cannot carry off, the television and the Cosmopolitan magazine, sits pretty a steaming cup of hot chocolate.

Here's how I make it usually.

I take one and a half cups of milk, three teaspoons of cocoa and a teaspoon or two of sugar and I boil it to a pulp (literally!), or at least until the cup and a half of milk gets reduced to a cup.

Pinned Image

Sometimes I throw all caution to the wind, add a quarter cup of cream to this, and instead of the cocoa, I add about 80 grams of semi sweet chocolate and then I cook it up. Then I top it up with a dollop of whipped cream or a few marshmallows and thank God for giving me life. 

Pinned Image


You can also fill the bottom of your glass with Kahlua or Amaretto or any of your favourite liqueur, slowly pour in your hot chocolate (possibly through the back of a spoon), careful that you don't mix in the alcohol and you have your very own adult hot chocolate now!

Yesterday I went the Mexican way and added a quarter of a teaspoon of paprika and a quarter of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to my chocolate milk mixture and boiled it. And it was glorious, I tell you! Simply glorious! I really felt the spirit of Zorro rising in me. 

For a perfect post dinner treat, you can add a couple of After Eight chocolate thins or any other peppermint chocolates to your chocolate milk and you have peppermint hot chocolate in front of you. 

Addition of orange rind (and some Triple Sec maybe?) will obviously give you orange hot chocolate. Alternatively, you can simply add orange syrup to the mix. In this manner, you can create any kinda hot chocolate: blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, litchi, strawberry... you get the drift, right?

Add some coffee powder or coffee concoction to make Mocha!

Pinned Image

And I'll also tell you the most decadent, delicious version of hot chocolate. It is thick as can be and it almost feels like pudding rather than just milk. Heat 1 cuppa milk, 1 cuppa cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until it boils. Mix 1/4 cup of milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons of  cornflour. Add this to the milk mixture and stir  continuously so that no lumps are formed. Add about 150 gms of semi sweet chocolate to this and melt and cook and whisk until the mixture is lusciously gleaming, decadently dark and viscous enough to coat the back of a spoon. Again, if it suits your fancy, you should add some Kahlua or Amaretto, but you really don't have to. Pour into mugs and start sipping!

Hazelnuts taste amazing with chocolate, and to make hazelnut hot chocolate, you can either do what I do and add some Nutella to the mix, or you can roast the hazelnuts in the oven, boil milk, steep the roasted hazelnuts in this milk for an hour or so, and use this milk to make the hot chocolate. Easy peasy. 

And you know what else you must do? Make hot white chocolate! Yum's the word!

Hot chocolate is the road to world peace; of this, I am sure!

2 comments:

  1. Drool. I should not have read this post. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. (I *never* say this!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you finally gave the most underappreciated form of chocolate its due credit! hurrah!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥