Monday, December 26, 2011

I like big books and I cannot lie


My grandmother used to tell me that as a child, while my brother and all the other kids in the neighbourhood used to play in the street, I used to sit on my little cane chair and read. Antisocial, I most certainly was; and unfit, I continue to be. But I loved the world that I lived in - a world of my making, fashioned by the likes of Enid Blyton, Mark Twain and Hans Christian Anderson. It was whimsical and wonderful world. 

I inherited my reading habit from my father. And maybe I stole it from him, because for whatever reason, he doesn't read anymore. I think that the reading habit requires a certain kind of stillness in your mind, which I fear he has lost. You need to be able to put your passions, demons, fears and furies aside and be willing to immerse yourself in a world of the author's making and embark on a journey along with the protagonist. The French author, Andre Gide, summed this up perfectly when he said, “To read a writer is for me not merely to get an idea of what he says, but to go off with him and travel in his company.” This act certainly requires a tremendous amount of effort and courage. 

As a child, I have to say that both my parents as well as my grandparents completely indulged me with regards to my reading habit by buying me every single book that I wanted. I had a huge bookshelf with classics - abridged and unabridged, novels, comics, plays and encyclopedias - some that I read many times over and some that would wait patiently for me to have grown enough to comprehend them.  And I have become so much richer because of it. 

I pretty much live in the same world now, except that a hundred other bloggers have come in, along with Nigella Lawson, Shashi Tharoor, Leo Tolstoy, Rohinton Mistry, Orhan Pamuk and Dr. House, who constantly quips in, saying, "Everybody lies." (Thanks Megs!)

I am the most restless person I know. I cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds without something to occupy me. But I am currently unemployed and I live without a moment of boredom in my days, thanks to the words of a hundred writers that live in my computer and on my book shelf. 

I love books. 

I love looking at them and being around them and collecting them and looking at them some more. It's not something I'm proud of, but I may love all these things more than reading itself, because I still haven't gotten around to reading most of the books I own. 

And that is why these have made me so happy.

Pinned Image

An enlarged photograph of some classic editions. 

Pinned Image

Book shelf - A shelf made of books.

Pinned Image

An invisible book shelf.

Pinned Image

A staircase full of books. Literally!

Pinned Image

Make art, not war. 

Pinned Image

Let them lift you up.

Pinned Image

Teach a child how to spell with it. 


Pen a quote on a wall. 

Pinned Image

And best of all, is this: a wall with author names - a thing of beauty is a joy forever! 

And now, I bid you farewell with the words of  Victor Hugo: 
“To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.”

p.s. You can find all the images and their sources here.

The End

10 comments:

  1. I love reading. A friend of my aunt, re-meeting me as an adult, said she remembered me as 'the one in the corner with glasses and a book'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess. I need to have something to read all the time. I even got books in my cellphone :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Im your newest follower!
    Have a Happy New Year!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz - We know that this is a good thing right?;)

    Suze - I would love books in my cellphone. How do you get that? I am so not tech savvy!

    Mark - Thank you, thank you! You have a happy new year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look of the blog. I have looked at every picture in this post like 15 times. It really bothers me that I do not have any of my books on display right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, filled with loads of happiness, good health and wonderful blessings. May all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the very first picture. I want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megs - You have books in your heart. That's what counts. {Utterly cheesy, I know, but you better believe it!}

    Anzz - Happy, blessed, wonderful New Year to you too!:) Thank you for visiting.

    Jules - I want too! The first picture is the reason for this post. It was love at first sight for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realllyy luvvdd these pics..Great compilation ! I too love reading..Just that have given its due importance in the last couple of years. Having a new year resolution, let's see how things go.. :) Lovely space..

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite posts of yours, Lizzie. I'm so glad I grabbed a minute to revisit it. :) Hope your year is off to a great start, Sweetie. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥