Friday, December 9, 2011

The First Supper

So.... the first supper was so good that when I saw it after I laid it all out half on the table, half on the floor (We don't really have a dining table. We have this coffee table that we bought to use as a dining table with a floor seating, but it is so small that half the dishes need to go on the floor.), I got so excited that I forgot all about taking pictures of it, and pretty much did a nosedive into the food.

This was the menu.

Tomato and Cilantro Soup
White Rice
Dhansak, My Way - A hotchpotch dish with lentils, spices and most other things that are there in the kitchen. ;)
Tempered Yoghurt (Dahi Chonkdar)
Chicken Fry
Spinach and Radish Stir Fry

So I have to tell you here, that the book I chose to cook though at least half of (as a part of my 28 before 28 challenge) is Indian Flavours by Marut Sikka. I have to admit at this juncture that it was pretty wily of me to choose this book, because it has only 64 recipes and that means that I have to cook only 32. And I have already made 5.

The soup, the spinach and the yoghurt are from this book.

And I want to talk about the tempered yoghurt, which was fabulous. I, of course, doubled the amount of spices in the recipe because I love spice and flavour, and it turned out fabulous. This is how I made it.

You need:

Greek Style Yoghurt - 500 g
Vegetable / Olive  Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Black Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic, finely chopped - 2 tsp
Onion, medium - sized, finely chopped - 1
Curry Leaves - 1 stalk
Dry Red Chillies - 4 (you can take off the seeds if you want less heat)
Ginger, finely chopped - 1 tsp
Green Chillies, finely chopped - 4 (you can take off the seeds if you want less heat)
Tomatoes, medium - sized, finely chopped - 2
Turmeric Powder- 3/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander powder - 3 tsp
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves, finely chopped - 3 tsp

Method:

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and heat till the seeds splutter / pop. Add cumin seeds and garlic and saute until light golden brown. The garlic and the cumin would have started emanating their quintessential scents by now.

Add onions and saute until it turns golden brown. Add curry leaves and dry red chillies and stir. Add ginger, green chillies, tomatoes and turmeric powder and saute for a minute. And salt and mix well. Add coriander powder and black pepper and continue to stir and roast until the fat starts appearing on the side or until the mix is no longer raw and is cooked well enough.

Add yoghurt and mix until it is completely amalgamated. Check seasoning and remove from the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Serve at room temperature.

Now I have to tell you. This dish is really, really spicy and if you don't want it to be so, you would do well to test the spice and progressively increase the quantity of the yoghurt, upto double  the amount. (In fact,.the actual recipe uses 900 g of yoghurt for the same amount of spices.)

You can eat this with rice and a nice chicken or fish curry. Or you can be like me and eat it directly from the bowl, like cereal. Totally your call. :)

I hope you make it. Just be a dear and mail me pictures  if you do end up makin' it!

Until next time,

Diz Liz

2 comments:

  1. yum! that sounds like one hearty meal!!! so when are u gonna invite me for dinner? And "YOU" were complaining that whatever u cooked was horrible?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you can come over any time. ANY TIME. Come for lunch. I'm making tender coconut pudding. ;) And I am not joking. We went through a series of horrible meals coz I was insistent that I perfect dal. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever figure dal out! Things are better now. I have moved onto yoghurt based curries and chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥