Tuesday, December 6, 2011

28 Suppers

This is part of my quest to become a new, improved, shiny, more dizzy, Lizzie.

So #3 and #10 on my 28 before 28 list have to do with my cooking, (which I must admit, is in dire need of resuscitation or reconstruction surgery or whatever else you may want to call it.) This might be because I am insanely, passionately, madly in love with food and in my life, I have eaten pretty amazing food, and because of that, I am very choosy about what I like and don't. So effectively, I pretty much dislike most things that I make. Bottom line, I need to get better. So that's what this is about: it's pretty much a mini project intended to help me achieve #3 and #10. 

Long story short, this series is called 28 Suppers and they will be complete before I turn 28. (Yup, it's a veeeery 'conducive to my utterly slothful deameanor' kinda deal!)

So the idea for doing this came from the work of two bloggers:

1. 80 Breakfasts - For the obvious reason - she started blogging way back in 2005, and posts on breakfast foods sporadically. Currently, she is at Breakfast #52.

2. Fresh out of Lemons - If I am Ebony, Leslie is Ivory. And the grass is always greener on the other side. I have been extremely vocal to her about my jealousy of her ability to organize her life so well (She plans ahead what she is going to cook through the week and makes shopping lists replete with prices for it. Every week. Week after week. She rocks my socks, to say the least!) So this is my attempt to do something like that. (Except it's really not, 'coz of the difference in scale.But still. It's me doing some sort of planning. Ok fine! I'll get there in a couple of decades.)

So here goes. I start tonight! You can join me if you like, the way you'd like to, as long as you cook something sometime. :)

We can eat cake and be merry.


3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so honored to have rocked your socks! The menu planning just takes practice. Best source for finding recipes is Pinterest; my board-- http://pinterest.com/fool/dinner-ideas/

    Try cinnamon-roasted sweet potato and apple salad with caramel vinaigrette chicken, which is my new favorite!

    Caramel Vinaigrette

    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
    1 tsp spicy mustard
    1 1/2 tbsp caramel sauce (warmed in the microwave--you want it runny)

    1. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, oil, spicy mustard, and caramel sauce;
    2. I use "shortcuts" chicken (pre-cooked and packaged.) I pour a bit of the sauce over the chicken to marinate for 1-2 hours. (Save the rest to pour over the salad!)

    1 bag of hearts of romaine lettuce
    1 medium sized sweet potato
    1 large apple
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    parmesan cheese

    1. Preheat oven to 425;
    2. Cut the sweet potato and apple into cubes (I don't peel either.) Place the cubes in a bowl;
    3. Stir the cinnamon, sugar, and brown sugar into the melted butter. Drizzle the mix over the top of the apples and sweet potatoes. Toss to coat;
    4. Spread the potatoes and apples in a single layer on baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender (tossing half way through.)
    5. Put the lettuce in a large bowl. Top with the slightly cooled apples and potatoes. Add the marinated chicken and pour the remaining vinaigrette over everything. Shave some parmesan on top. Toss everything!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie - Thank you! :) I love that fresh out of lemons gets abbreviated into fool. :) Thanks a ton for the recipe. I will try it out as soon as I get myself an oven.:) Looks amazing though. And I love your Pinterest board.

    Liz - :) You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥