Wednesday, November 30, 2011

28 before 28

I am someone they would call 'the saboteur of the self'. With every plan I make, I pretty much set myself up for failure. Of late, this syndrome has become so bad that I only make plans regarding things that I know I'll fail in. The key to achieving this is to set your standards so high with regards to your challenge that you will feel good while you are planning it, and when you end up not completing the challenge, you won't feel as bad because your challenge was too difficult to begin with.

For instance, in July, I planned to run the Mumbai half marathon (42 kilometers) and I went ahead and bought these jogging shoes. Of course, from the word go, I guess I knew that I would never end up doing it but I had deluded myself into thinking that I would, until about now. Reality just bit me and it hurts!

But this is not such a list. I AM gonna do these 28 things before I turn 28 on August 17th 2012.


 Here is the list.

1. Colour my hair auburn

I have had bright red highlights a zillion times and now I want a whole head of red. :)


2. Buy a bicycle


3. Finish cooking through half or more of a cookbook of my choice

 

4. Save!
Penultimate Goal: A trip to the mountains to learn yoga at Agama.
Ultimate Goal: Become a millionaire.

5. Get a dog



Thom has agreed to buy me a puppy for my 28th birthday after we move into a house with a balcony. You guys will help me put salt in his pudding if he doesn't live up to his word, right?

6. Visit Ajanta and Ellora Caves, Nasik, Hyderabad and Gujarat.


7. Clean the house from top to bottom, front to back and right to left, twice or thrice a week.


8. Get a job


9. Make some kind of headway in anger management

via
 10. Cook and serve a gourmet 5 course meal for at least 4


11. Finish furnishing and setting up the entire house. Get an organic and intelligent system of functioning around the house, up and running.



12. Buy, clean and cook an entire fish (I hate fish. I am petrified of fish. I have never touched an uncooked fish and have hardly eaten cooked fish. Hence, I really have no idea what to do with fish!)


13. Get a lot, lot, lot better at photography and Photoshop. Take at least one photography class somewhere.


14. Get another tattoo


So far, I am a cute little princess. I plan to be a prisoner before I turn 28. Can't wait!

15. Get Thom to not make fun of me for an entire week. If I have to behave perfectly to achieve this, I will. Watch out!



16. Dance at a public place (I never dance. Ever. Not good for my fragile self esteem. Of course, #15 and #16 cannot happen at the same time. Thom calls attempts of mine to shake a leg, the 'Duck Dance'!!! Any 'like' I have for him is despite his sense of humour.)


17. Get my father to come and stay with me in Bombay.


18. Finish at least one 30 day photo challenge.


In the same vein, I want to fulfill all the claims I make on this blog. If that involves me not making any grand and fleeting promises, so be it. It's a punishment that I truly deserve!


19. Meet somebody I can say this to.


20. Buy one nice thing for the house every month. Buy only things that I absolutely want AND need.


21. Lose 15 kilograms of weight from all the right places.
Of course, this is a staple at all my resolution / to do lists. My secret fantasy is to be underweight so that I can eat my way to being the ideal weight for my height. Ain't I devious?

22. Learn how to make 10 new jams, one for each month


23. Grow a plant to be used for cooking


24. Buy the PS3 or the XBox 360 with Kinect.


25. Read a lot, lot more. Finish reading at least 75% of the books I have in my cupboard. Also, encourage Thom and everyone else I know, to read.


26. Be nicer to the people I like and simultaneously, reduce interaction with the people I don't like, especially badly behaved, rude, arrogant people who are also dumb.


27. Bring back to life the big toe on my left foot that has been dead since the day I got married. Dead, you hear me? As dead as a dodo that's been hit in the head by Frodo on his way to Mordor. Dead!


28. Try and be true to myself in this silly little world.



Note: Most of the images are from Anne Taintor. Those that are not can be found on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant list! I hope you're going to blog about your progress with all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful list!!! I share the number 21 with you... of all the people why am I not underweight?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you accomplish all of this, I beg that you then come to the US and whip my life into shape. Seriously. You can be my life coach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab list and I love that you have illustrated them all with pictures! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try fish tacos. And rosemary is really easy to grow (and delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz - I plan to bore you to death with details of my progress.:)

    Sarah - You are a woman after my own heart!

    Megs - You too!:) Can I be your life coach even if I dont accomplish any of these? I can teach you how to sing off key AND self medicate!

    Kathryn - Thank you! I need it!

    Leslie - As much as I would love to grow rosemary, I wonder if it would grow in India. It is way too arm and sultry. But I WILL find something.:) Maybe mint. Or basil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking in! What a great list, here! Love the funny photos with captions to go along.

    I encourage dancing in public even I you are deathly shy--it could be so fun, then you'll realize you couldn't care less what others may think! So relieving! Have fun with these things!

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I still have not done that one and I am terrified! :) Thanks Cassie.

      Delete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥