Sunday, June 19, 2011

Eat cake and be married

If you were to ask me what the single most important thing at a wedding is, I would definitely say 'The Wedding Cake'. While my girlfriends fantasized about the most beautiful church or a stunning reception arena or a handsome groom, I fantasized about the perfect cake - a gorgeous 3 tiered masterpiece that tasted as good as it looked. And the best part of my fantasy was that I would eat the whole thing by myself... you know, other than that one piece that has to be shared with your groom.

Half of one layer would be Chocolate Hazelnut (like Nutella), the other half would be Chocolate Peanut Butter (like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups), another layer would be Banoffe Pie (banana + toffee) and the third would be Cinnamon Raisin from Hardees. And the icing would be butter cream but it would magically look and be as pliant as fondant.

Come to me my love!

As for how my beloved cake would look, these are a few ideas.


This is a Ron Ben Israel Cake

via

This is a Ron Ben Israel Cake

via

This is a Ron Ben Israel Cake

via

via

via

And then there are my three favourite cakes.

This is a Ron Ben Israel Cake

This is Ron Ben Israel with his creation
via

And that is how I first fell in love with ruffles. 

And then I saw these cakes. 







These are all Maggie Austin Cakes and that is when I decided that I wanted two cakes - a stunningly beautiful and perfect cake by Ron Ben Israel and a chic and adorable one by Maggie Austin. And then I did a little waltz to 'I could have danced all night' from My Fair Lady and 2 people saw me and fainted. 

But then it dawned on me that I live in India and that I neither know Israel and Austin nor do I know anyone here who can bake cakes like these. So I fasted and prayed to Jude the Apostle - Patron Saint of Lost Causes for a wedding miracle and then searched far and wide for the name of a brilliant confectioner in India who can make me a showstopper of a cake. 

That is when I came across Call me cupcake

Now look at the work Linda has done.


Doesn't look any different from the Maggie Austin cake now, does it? (Too bad Linda lives a gazillion miles away in Sweden, though.)

But here she even teaches you how to make ruffled icing the way Maggie Austin does. Ain't she a doll? 

Now I just need to find someone with an oven, some sugar and an internet connection. James Bond has agreed to come hold a gun to his/her head so that I can force him/her to make me a Linda - Maggie Austin cake. Feasible enough, considering the circumstances.

L'Oreal says that I'm worth it and I'm inclined to believe them in most cases. 

5 comments:

  1. I hope you get the cake of your dreams, dear! The ruffled tutorial is amazing. So clever. Very happy to see you are enjoying your wedding planning. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to have you here G! :)

    I love the ruffles tutorial too!

    And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cakes are soo beautiful!!!! Can anyone cut into such a beautiful creation ??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I never thought about that. That will be a problem for sure! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your log! I'm having a problem finding thit ruffle tutorial. I make wedding cakes and have an order for a Maggie Austin ruffle cake and am stressing big time as how to approach this monumental task! Help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥