Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's in a name?

Communication, for me, is very simple. There are words I like to say and words I don't. And I say ONLY the words that I like to say.

For instance, you will never get me to say 'ensemble'. This is because whenever I try to to say it, I sound either awfully and pitifully wrong or way too sophisticated for my own good, and disproportionately so. I am not a sophisticate. I wear my pearl necklaces around my ankles and my diamond brooch holds my purse zip in place. For that matter, 'brooch' is another word you'll never hear me say. In fact, it's been so long since I said it that I don't even remember how it's meant to be pronounced anymore. I just call it 'the thing that holds my purse together' or better yet, just point to it.

Another word that I will never say is 'somnambulism'. This word should be taken off the dictionary for being such a hideously ugly word. 'Buenos Aires', 'escargots', 'titillating', 'corpuscles', 'faucet' and 'fiancée' all fall under the category of words I will never say.

I also hate saying certain names, such as 'Albert' and 'Louis' and 'Pierre' and 'Jean'.

And now can I tell you a secret? The name I hate saying the most is 'Richard'. And guess whose name that is! My 'fiancée's'! Can you believe it? That's why I call him Thom (for Thomas, his second name), which is my absolute favorite name for a guy (at least that's what I told Thom right after I told him how much I hate his name.)

Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest! Tea, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't you hated it so much that it deserved a post.. Have to admit that even I like liz better thn teena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥