Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A heartfelt message of gratitude

With much careful thought and rational consideration, I have decided to name my future son Ben.

Ben stands for Benadryl (fondly known as 'Bennie' in my head).

Naming my son Ben is the only way I could give due credit to this steadfast friend who has stood by me through thick and thin.

I have turned to this innocuous concoction of Diphenhydramine, Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Menthol and Ethanol in times of heartbreak, fear, loathing, jealousy and illness.

Bennie has been there for me at times when I was so wrought with nervousness that I would stand and shiver at the mere sight of a fly.

Bennie has been my saviour when I had so much to study that the thought would keep me up cringing all night.

Bennie has been my warrior when  my pesky little brother would be behind my back to teach him how to sing 'Jack and Jill'. A shot of Bennie disguised in his milk was all it took then.

Bennie has shaken off my blues and brought in rainbows a million times and he never fails me. Bennie never fails. He stands guard on my chest of drawers day in and day out, waiting to tend to my needs, whims and fancies.

Bennie is what a shot of Johnnie Walker Blue Label is for my father and a phone call to a girlfriend is to my mother.

Bennie is always always there for me.

Do you have such a friend too? And if you do, what would you do for him?

3 comments:

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥