Wednesday, February 23, 2011

No Banana Leaf

This is an 'Ela Appam'. This is made of rice flour, jaggery, coconut and a mix of spices and is steamed in a 'Vazhana Ela' till it is cooked. For the life of me, i am not able to find the English name of the Vazhana Ela. So Vazha means banana, na means no and ela means leaf. So this would literally translate it to 'no banana leaf.' 

Well, duh! I know that this is not a banana leaf! 

If you do know what it is though, please tell me! I'm kinda dying of Ela Appam withdrawal after having eaten up this last one. I need to make a batch for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥