Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dreaming of Divas and Dreams

This post is intended to tell you about this awesome prize that I won that has made me the happiest girl this side of the Prime Meridian. Let me start at the beginning.

Once upon a time, last week, when I was blog surfing the heeeeuuuugely popular 'Divas and Dreams', I saw a little box in the corner that said 'International Photography Workshop - 6 weeks online with photographer, blogger and life coach, Christina Greve', and I thought to myself, 'Well, life coaching would totally be lost on ol' incorrigible me, but a photography workshop is exactly what I need!'

The thing is that I have been obsessing about learning photography in a structured manner from an expert, and I have been looking for an institute that teaches photography, but there is none in this awesome (read @#%$%^*) city that I call home. So I have been looking for other places around the country and I actually don't know where I could learn photography from! Would you believe that? There is no place, really! In the entire country.

Maybe I am being particularly choosy because I don't wish to repeat my former mistake of doing my postgraduate degree in a mass communication college with a specialization in Audio-Visual Communication with photography as one of the main subjects, with the sole purpose of learning photography, and then ending up not only learning no photography and but also detesting cinema! No sir! No risk taking behaviour for me this time round. I prefer to take the well trodden path, thank you very much!

If only Brooks Institute would start a branch in India! That would be the beginning of world peace! Because I believe in the power of one and Gandhi said that we need to be the change we wish to see in the world! So the way to world peace, really, is me becoming peaceful. And photography is the key, I am convinced. (Are you listening Mr. Brooks!!!)

By the way, if you hear about my history with photography and the unfulfilled dreams that have resulted and are growing faster than any tumor, you will weep. It is a woebegone tale of love, loss, agony and rage. *Comingsoontoatheatrenearyou!* But if there is any reason I will remain self unactualized, it will only be because of photography. Otherwise, I feel unnaturally accomplished in life.

Strange self perceptions I agree, but I digress from my point. We are talking about Christina Greve now and I don't want to be known as the person who can only talk about herself.

I saw the ad on her blog and I thought, 'Holy cow! This would be perfect for me!' I have been following Christina's blog for a while now and she is a fantastically fabulous photographer. I even take part in her weekly challenge on flickr. This course is divine inspiration channeled to her by Goddess Venus herself, keeping lil' me in mind, I convinced myself as I did a shimmy and a skip.

Then I clicked on the image and all was well in my world until I saw the despicable written in bold!

$500 for the course!

And it was precisely at this moment that I stopped the skip and the shimmy and fell in a sweep heap. 500 dollars was half my salary in my heydays when I was working and earning a living. 500 dollars is 400 dollars more than the rent I paid when I first started working. 500 dollars is 10 months of my pocket money right now plus change. 500 dollars is what my good kidney is worth. On a good day. Where was I gonna conjure up 500 dollars now. I don't even know why I didn't see it coming, because conducting a workshop in photography, I'm sure, is very expensive. Any school, even in India, would charge way more for probably much less.

But anyways. That was the end of my dream as I knew it. But only for a moment. Because then I shifted into reverse gear and channeled Mike Dooley from Tut's Adventure Club, who ever so graciously sends me Notes from the Universe everyday, and he had told me expressly, that 'thoughts become things', and that's when I decided that Christina would definitely host a contest and give away at least one seat in her workshop for the winner. It was time for the thought to become a thing. And that was that.

So yesterday, when I was reading her blog, imagine how stoked I was when I read that she was giving away one seat in her workshop to one lucky reader.

So this post is really to tell you that I won the seat! To be true, Christina is going to announce the winner only next Friday, but hello! Did you not listen to my story? I am a shoo-in for the prize! The contest was made for me! Christina channels Mike Dooley too probably, and I reckon that he told her that for my thoughts to become things, her cooperation is imperative. And that's the story as we know it!

But of course, the contest is still open. Y'all should enter too! Because Christina is sweet. And her writing is sweeter. And her photography is the sweetest. And because it will be beyond fun to be a part of something like that. Not that you stand a chance against me but still, the more the merrier is what my friend Ro always says and I tend to agree with her. She's a smart girl, that Ro.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥