Thursday, January 20, 2011

White

'White' is the prompt for week 26 at Kristi's life through the lens and as soon as I saw this, I immediately thought of a college assignment that I had done for an advertising creatives class way back in 1952. (Yes. I am an octogenarian. And yes. 80 year olds can be this silly and frivolous. And yes. I look 26.) The teacher had given us a prompt and we were to design a print ad around it. And I had saved what I had done somewhere in my zillion messy cupboards.

So I dug through the annals of history and useless stuff that I hardly have use for and unearthed the aged and yellowed piece of paper that disintegrated on touch. And this is what it said.

'Peace. A precious commodity these days...

Steel blue high rises. Cold grey paved paths. Multi hued SUVs peeking out amidst clouds of smog.

These tones have become all pervasive in our vision, so much so, that we cease to wonder why there is an absence of other colours.

Verdant tress, azure skies. ruby red blossoms and rainbows in a myriad hues. We don't wonder where they have gone and wish to be in a world of them.

And white. 

White... Clouds, horizons, doves, lilies. 

White... White that stretches to eternity but stops where imagination ceases. 

White... Serenity. Tranquility. Peace....

Kerala... Storks, pelicans, waterfalls, waves and lotus flowers. 

Kerala... Jasmines around every corner creating carpets for you to tread on. 

Kerala... Crystal clear waters and pristine skies bathed in a white that satiates your soul.

Kerala... Your road to peace.'

And this brings me to my interpretation of the prompt.

This is not the first time that I am waxing eloquent about Kerala. It is where I was born and brought up and to elucidate my love for it, I can only quote George Moore who said, “A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” There is no place in the world like Kerala. And I am so proud to have it as a part of my legacy!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. You caught the reflection perfectly. I loved your post! Words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thank you and thank you :) it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥