Monday, January 24, 2011

O sweet spontaneous

E. E. Cummings hasn't graced these pages in a while now and I think I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms of it. So here is what I would have liked to hear him read out to me over tea today.


O sweet spontaneous
earth how often have
the doting

fingers of
prurient philosophies pinched
and poked

thee
has the naughty thumb
of science prodded
thy

beauty how
often have religions taken
thee upon their scraggy
knees squeezing and

buffeting thee that thou mightest conceive
gods
but
true

to the incomparable
couch of death thy
rhythmic
lover

thou answerest

them only with

spring

Like I have said before, all's right with a world with Cummings in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥