Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Everest

One of my tasks for the day was that I cook something, photograph the steps and blog about it.

I had initially thought that I would make a trifle of some sort, because I do have some left over cake from Christmas.

All through my gymming session, I willed my creative juices to flow and come up with something spectacular as a dessert. So I got back bone tired, but with an iron will to create a magnificent pudding. And I look in the cupboard....

...to find that there is no custard powder.

Never mind.

A real cook can always cook from scratch.

So I gather my Nigella cookbook and look inside the fridge....

...to find that there is no milk.

Maybe it was a message from the omniscient God  because, despite my best intentions and claims of making the food for my skinny and athletic brother, I inevitably end up polishing off most of my food. (Can't help it! I make such Yum food!) Maybe God is unwilling to support my nefarious activities anymore.

So anyways, me being the constant gatherer of signs, I decided to turn 180 degrees on my approach on what to cook and decided to cook an omelet, because, after all, 'the hardest thing to cook is the perfect omelet.

Taking it upon myself to learn how to create the perfect 3 egg omelet, I started on my first one, based on a Margaret Fulton recipe that I had read yesterday.

Now for those of you who don't know her, she is the grand mommy of the Australian cooking scene.

Now look at her! doesnt she look so incredibly kind and joyful! And of course, so pretty!
Born in 1924, she practically grew up in the kitchen, and under the tutelage of her mother, developed her knowledge, sense and understanding of food. So progressive was her mother's ideas and intuitive was her style of cooking that Fulton says of her the following. "My mother was very particular about food. At a time when people were boiling the life out of vegetables, she was cooking them lightly. At a time people were overcooking meat, she wasn't. The food I was brought up on was really what we eat today, whereas other people didn't have that."

How proud she must be of her mother to say that, and how accomplished her mother must have been!

So in the same article, she talks about 5 recipes that everyone should master. And of course, the omelet is the first one.

I followed the recipe word for word, except that in the end, I folded the omelet 3 fold, which I dont think would have made much of a difference anyways. This is only because I think I used too big a pan which rendered the omelet too think and wide.

The omelet itself was very soft and fluffy, perfectly moist and with subtle flavours that pleasingly allowed the taste of the egg to come through.

Below is the original recipe and here is the link to the article.

Basic omelet
Many a good cook's reputation has been built on the ability to make an omelet. The perfect omelet must be beaten quickly, cooked in seconds and served immediately. Some claim the traditional French version of 2-3 eggs should be beaten, cooked and served in 90 seconds. It can be done if the stage is set: eggs broken in the bowl, the filling, if any, heated and at hand and the fortunate omelet eater already seated.

Anyone who can make the basic omelet and discovers the other great versions will always be able to serve a delicious meal at a moment's notice.

3 eggs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1-2 tsp butter
Extra butter

Beat the eggs with a fork only enough to blend the yolks and whites thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Melt the butter in an omelet pan over a moderate heat. As the butter melts and foams, tilt the pan to film the base and sides. When the foam has almost subsided and the butter starts to colour, pour in the eggs. With a fork, pull the edges of the egg mass towards the centre as it thickens. The liquid part will run into vacant spaces. Repeat until there is no more liquid but the eggs are still very soft. Lift the handle of the pan so the omelet rolls over on to the warmed plate. Smear the top with a little extra butter to give it that professional sheen and serve immediately. 









Variations
Lightly mix one of the following into the beaten eggs.

Cheese Sprinkle in 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
Parsley
Mix in lightly 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
Herbs Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, thyme, basil, tarragon, chives, parsley or dill, in any combination.
Ham Add less salt to the eggs and mix in 2 tablespoons diced ham.


p.s. 
Useless and strange trivia: Weirdly, I thought omelet was only spelled omelette until a minute ago.  No, this is no gender discrimination. (If anything, I would think of an omelet as masculine, as opposed to a luscious, sinful and very feminine Eggs Benedict. Now I understand that both spellings are correct and oft used interchangeably. Wierdlier, I much prefer omelette. Makes me feel coquettish somehow. (I warned you that the trivia is strange!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥