Monday, December 27, 2010

Funny sorta people

Today, one of my best friends called me and asked me whether I was tired of not working and later whether I was tired of not being financially independent anymore. (FYI, I quit my job a year back and I've been traveling and chilling at home and then traveling again for the last 1 year.)

It made me realize how most (most, most) people need stability and constancy. And how they need a job. And it sacred me a little that I have been perfectly content with my situation for a year now. No, I don't miss working or earning. I missed learning and that's one reason I quit my job. Now I read all day - blogs, books, magazine, headlines scrolling across on television, toothpaste lables, billboards... pretty much whatever I can get my hands on. And I am so happy with that. And no, I don't feel like I'm wasting my life.

And in that spirit, I am quoting W.H.Davies.

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

This is my thought for the day.

And yes, I would feel like I was wasting my life if I didn't have time to stop and stare. And that is another of the reasons I quit my job a year back. (There are plenty of reasons, but more on that later.)

Honestly, I really feel that misery loves company and those who work and are miserable doing it, would rather live in denial of the fact that they do have a choice to not participate in something you dislike. And to perpetrate their fallacy, they want to drag everyone else in! (It is equally possible that I am trying to validate my choice and proclaiming that everyone else got sour grapes.)

But how else can you explain parents forcing their kids to get married! I mean, look at them. Most of them are so obviously mismatched and miserable. And then they force you into the same institution that created the trouble in the first place.

A funny sorta people we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥