Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Forever and a day

Feels like it's been forever and a day since I last posted. It's a combination of inaccessibility to the net and an unsettled mind that has caused the hiatus. I have traveled quite a bit in the past month and a half and in that sense, there is so much to write about. But I never intended to chronicle my life here so maybe I can resume writing without an account, an explanation or even a passing mention of the time passed unless I feel the urge to essay it out. Right now, maybe I'm overwhelmed. And to write about it would be to break it down, to rationalize it and to add colour where it is grey and vice versa; It would involve stepping out of the nebulousness of the afterglow that I want to continue basking in. And that's all there is to it.

But as for now, look at these mindbogglingly fantabulous Louis Vuitton shoes! 


They are from the Winter 2010 collection and are made of ostrich leather (regrettably, I might add, because as much as I love these, the images of the skinned ostrich, dead or otherwise are weighing heavily on my conscience).



These are made of calf leather and I love them almost as much. They are so sophisticated and pretty and I can totally picture Audrey Hepburn wearing them. And I heart anything that I hypothetize that Hepburn would wear.



And these , made of baby goat leather, are from the summer 2011 collection. Hawt, Hawt, Hawt!!!!






And these Jimmy Choos are lace, snake print patent shoes with a glimmer of fishnet stocking and are pretty enough to launch a thousand ships! Sigh!

Now it's dawning on me that as much as I love all these shoes, I can't stop thinking about the poor baby animals. I guess ignorance is truly bliss. Or at least, denial is. I was totally convinced by these shoes until I read the innocuous captions indicating their source. Ostrich, calf and lamb.

If you ask me now if I'd rather own a pair of any of the above or ensure the life of a baby goat, I would hands down choose the latter. I would choose to let the creature live. So would most of us, I presume. But to be proactive and vociferous about cruelty against animals and an utter denouncement of products that involve their ill-treatment or slaughter is another ball game, and one that requires sincerity and discipline, which I'm not sure I have. (It also involves not swearing at animals when they attack or pseudo attack you! Last week, when I was gaping at the architectural marvel of a 15th century temple in Hampi, a calf totally butted me playfully. As harmless as the intention was and as unharmed as I was, the event unnerved me for quite a while and there is not a cuss word that I haven't used on the poor beast!)

Now for those of you who want to see a movie that might flip around your life, (or at least your day), watch 'Earthlings'. It is a documentary narrated by Joaquin Phoenix about us earthlings and the various ways we show differential and preferential treatment.

Anyways, this post has truly been confused. I feel like I'm unable to focus after a month of wandering. But watch the movie and don't buy leather shoes however good they look is probably what I'm trying to say. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥