Wednesday, October 27, 2010

it's in lowercase in my heart

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) 



- e.e.cummings 
 
this poem is for my baby brother. i wish i could tell him this but he would laugh on my face if i did. stupid adolescents!

anyways, e.e.cummings is my all-time favourite author. (yes, i couldn't stop gushing about mary oliver yesterday but cummings never left my soul! and yes, the article in lowercase is a tribute to his writing style. i wonder why it never caught on! makes so much more sense than typing in caps for the first letter and then in small letters. not to mention the 'I's in caps. who invented capital and small letters anyways. its such a purposeless concept.)

verses of his suffice to lift my heart to gladness even from my deepest blues. momentary though this comfort may be, to an  forlorn spirit, the worth of a warranted tool to soothe the soul is immense.

his poetry has a quiet, non intrusive, calming element to it. much like a grandmother's warm hug. like a mug of warm peppermint tea on a cool afternoon. like the lap of gentle waves on your bare feet.

it's unconditional. undemanding. and yet wholly yielding. its there for you for whatever you need. to lift you up, to make you joyful, to sew you up and make you whole again.

and because my grandmother and my brother are not there for a hug anymore, all i have is cummings and my warm mug of peppermint tea. and you know what. sometimes that's enough. 

3 comments:

  1. the poem and the post were both really heartfelt.
    i too lost my grandmum recently,so i can totally identify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too :( some time back actually..she was such an angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lizzie, love the images. Good stuff! And what a fun header for this blog ... very cool:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for being here. You must know that I love reading your comments more than I love the idea of baby bunnies eating frosted cupcakes sitting atop a cloud. They make me happy when skies are blue, yellow, pink or grey. ♥